Friday 21 June 2013

Pounding the Rock

Jacob Riis : When nothing seems to help, 
I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock 
perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. 
Yet at the hundred and first blow
 it will split in two, 
and I know it was not that blow that did it, 
but all that had gone before. 
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/coach-pop-pounding-the-rock-jacob-riis-spurs


Another Saturday stuck at home, I awoke this morning physically stiff and sore but more than that I was mentally in a world of pain ...

Save a seat for me - 2014 Playoffs I'll be there I know u will too
In the background its been about my teams rollercoaster over the last month really culminating in a crazy final week where we just didn't take our chances. It will be one that I and many others will never forget - Basketball played at its highest level on the highest stage - and even in a season in which we did not win it may have been my favourite Playoff run of all time. I definitely will not forget it ...


Winning isnt always measured in titles
Rather than go on about the Spurs anymore I'd ask you to click the following link and have a read of this great article and read the quote (and unofficial Spurs mantra) above http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-heat-nba-finals-lebron-james

Thanks for constantly inspiring me, you are truly a team and an organisation that commands my utmost respect.


But this mornings battles were an individual one brought about by another Saturday and the difficulties and monotony of my current stonecutting expedition...

3 weeks in and its a struggle ... the day to day physical improvement is so incremental ... but the grind of rehab and the absolute dependence on others is a massive challenge.

 3-4 times a day

  • Undo Leg Brace
  • Heat Pack / Massage leg for 10 mins
  • Redo Leg Brace
  • Push my knee to the limit (currently 45*) by grabbing my upper leg and pulling it towards me without using my quads. 10 x 5 secs hold at point of pain
  • Keep leg bent at 45* with cushion underneath for 30 mins
  • Ice Knee 20 mins
  • Get up and walk around
I'm hoping for 15* a week or a couple of degrees a day. So far a week in I'm stuck at 45* so like the proverbial stonecutter I will keep pounding the rock ... hopefully the results will take care of themselves

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it Tim - I know I would find it very hard myself to stay discipline enough to maintain that schedule. Good luck with the rehab mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Stevo - mate you've been disciplined enough to lose 20kgs in pretty impressive fashion so don't sell yourself short. Thanks for the well wishes I'll certainly keep at it - pretty easy to be motivated when your future ability to walk/run/ride is at stake ;)

    ReplyDelete