Monday 3 June 2013

01 June 2013 AB - Adelaide Arena

Roy Hibbert aka Father Time
When: 01 June 2013 AB the first day of my long cold basketball winter ... for the last 4 months I have really been battling to stay on the court, even more than usual ... was my body telling me something? Achilles tendinitis, left ankle impingement, an MRI, cortisone shot countless physio visits, right plantar fasciitis ... but I fought to hang onto the game I love.

Planting my foot in warmups for one last dunk ... Father Time made a big stop to keep his Harlem Globetrotters like winning streak intact. Lying on the court looking for my missing knee cap I was already reflecting on the journey ..... for the next few months I think I will keep some notes ...


Good Elevation on the jumper for the Reds
Where: Adelaide Arena ... scene of many memorable moments ... Sixers titles, my only ever 10 point ABL game (I banked a fallaway 3 on the buzzer in a 40+ point loss)

Won the 1992 Open State High School title with Wirreanda High (the final was a warmup match for the 36ers in the brand new Clipsal Powerhouse - definitely a career highlight at the time). Weeks later we came 3rd in the National Titles on the same court - we were the only team to beat the eventual champions Marist College (ACT) but lost to power team Willetton High (WA) which like Wirreanda offered Basketball as an elective subject. The week long National tournament was an amazing experience


Lost the 1993 Open State High School title this time with Unley High ... me and my brother Andy (a much better player than I) transferred there, joining a team of young guns Shane Ahmatt, Justin Clayton, Josh Slaytor etc guys who all went on to solid ABL careers 


We lost to my old school Wirreanda in the round robin (I was out with a torn hip flexor) but I remember beating Brighton High going head to head with Jason Williams - we both scored in the mid 20s and yes I used to be a scorer back then  ... things do change.

No comments:

Post a Comment