Tuesday 23 July 2013

Intercol ... my return to the court ... as Coach

This has been the best week so far!! (see above post also)


Me directing traffic in last years Intercol
Monday started off with Intercol ... Intercol is a yearly tradition where Prince Alfred College and Saints battle in a variety of sports both for current students and old collegians.

Here's a crazy buzzer beating highlight from a few years ago to give PAC the 2009 High School Basketball Intercol trophy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcxeh8K-g28

Phil Harford who hit the game winner is now a member of our current PAC Old Scholars A's team and was also in last years team which clinched the A Grade title with yours truly (our 5th straight for those counting at home) In the video are a couple of other A's Old Scholars members and if you look closely the Chairman of the Boards - Mark Davis is coaching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Davis_(basketball,_born_1960)


Edge of the seat stuff in the Bs - yes our new stadium is the biz!
As per previous years I coached the PAC Old Collegians Cs & Bs and once again we were victorious. Obviously being unable to play I assisted Palky coaching the As which we lost for the 2nd straight year in a real close one. For a pictorial review pls click the link  http://oldredsbasketball.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/cs-intercol-game-started-bit-scrappy_24.html

As an outsider (Non PAC Student) it is an enormous privilege to be involved in such a long standing and prestigious event. The Old Scholars Basketball Intercol has been going for 20 years and in other sports the intense rivalry stretches back many decades.


Victorious Bs team - great to be back out with the lads
I have played in 3 A Grade Intercols and was lucky enough to play a major role in winning the 08 & 09 trophies. I have both games on DVD and will treasure watching those (especially my defensive antics, loud voice and a couple of big hits) now my playing career is done. I missed the 2010 win due to overseas travel and 11's loss due to injury. Last year I played in my only "Grand Final" defeat for the club which still stings ....

... so including Intercols and Grand Finals I retire with a 7-1 record in the games that matter. That is something I am immensely proud of and hopefully defines my time as an Old Red.

However there are plenty of chapters to write as a Coach and I look forward to giving back as much to the game of Basketball as it has given me ...

GO REDS

No comments:

Post a Comment